Director of Operations
PLX, Inc is a state-of-the-art optical technology company based in New York, providing vital solutions to fit the demands of a new generation of optical requirements by specializing in the development and manufacture of high accuracy complex optical structures that withstand non-optimal conditions. With a 65-year heritage at the forefront of innovation, PLX continues to transform optics by integrating innovative optical systems into the assemblies of critical defense, space, and aerospace platforms. PLX is the leader in development and fabrication of monolithic and invariant optics, and the pioneers of hollow retroreflectors, such as the Lateral Transfer Hollow Retroflectors and Periscopes (LTHR/LTHP). One of the core technologies is the patented system integration of optical structure technologies, the Monolithic Optical Structure Technology™ (M.O.S.T.), which has thermally & environmentally stable sub-arcsecond performance in a compact form factor.
We are looking to hire an experienced Director of Operations to lead the development and implementation of the company’s operational and strategic engineering goals. The Director of Operations will supervise operations/engineering, production and quality teams and the expansion of the business’ proprietary intellectual property portfolio.
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Have an overall understanding of the operating environment and how changing conditions may affect the business
- Ensure integrated day to day running of Engineering, Production & Quality teams, and suppliers.
- Develop operational control that visually communicates performance in Production, Quality, Maintenance and Daily challenges to CEO.
- Take responsibility for operational targets and productivity
- Responsible for cost of quality of manufacturing
- Understand the financial metrics and understand how they are affected
- Actively promote a strong corporate culture of continuous improvement
- As part of the management team understand, review, and mitigate risks to the business
- Ensure that the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements
New Business Development
- Work with the business development and sales team to generate and evaluate new opportunities
- Represent and be a key decision maker in customary interactions with customers, suppliers, and key industry resources
- BS and/or MS in Opto-Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering with at least 5 years of related experience
- Hands-on experience and understanding of optics and opto-mechanical best practices.
- Experience with optical tests such as interferometers, beam profilers, and metrology.
- Understanding of optical concepts such as ray aberrations, waves, diffraction, interference, Gaussian propagation, lasers, imaging, Interferometry etc.
- Willing to share expertise and train others to further the organization.
- Proficient at using SolidWorks, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
- Proficient at using ERP systems (currently working with E10 by EPICOR)
- Knowledge of BAQ a plus
- Knowledge of Ansys and ray tracing a plus.
- Knowledge of IT and programing a plus.
- Able to analyze and synthesize complex or diverse information. Collect and research data. Use mathematical and statistical analysis tools to formulate conclusions and data-driven decisions.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Self- starter and independent thinker
- Results driven
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong administration and time management skills
- Ability to take a systematic approach to daily operations
- Strong manufacturing knowledge background
- Confident leadership skills and be able to influence the team
- Facility with both financial and operational metrics for a manufacturing environment
- Can communicate effectively at all levels internal and external
- Capacity to multi-task
- Honest and communicative approach
- Focused and the ability to work on your own as well as leading the team are paramount
- Qualified by education or experience
Experience running multi-faceted business units
- Job Type: Full-time
- Performance bonuses
PLX is an equal opportunity employer that emphasizes the importance of collaboration, respect, and diversity in the workplace
SALARY REQUIREMENTS MUST BE INCLUDED WITH RESUME IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE POSITION.
Click here for PDF download